Saturday, August 10, 2013

Tzatziki Chicken Salad



My best friend from college, Natalee, is half Chinese and half Greek. She was my roommate my sophomore and senior year, and she used to make the most delicious meals. My other roommate Emma and I would always ask her, "Okay, so what's for dinner tonight?!" These were the days when I could/would only cook pasta..

Here is her famous tzatziki recipe. Usually I eat it with crackers or pita, but this time I decided to try something different and add in shredded chicken. To be honest... it wasn't the best meal I've ever had. But the tzatziki recipe is THE BEST. Try it, you'll love it.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cucumbers
  •  1 lb. plain yogurt or (8 oz. plain yogurt & 8 oz. sour cream) (I always mix)
  • 4 cloves garlic (crushed); use less if you don’t want a strong garlic flavor (I LOVE garlic!)
  • ½ cup olive oil (can use a little less if you like)
  • ¼ cup white vinegar
  • 2 tsp. dill (I usually use just 1 tsp)
  • salt & pepper to taste
Directions:
  1.  Peel cucumbers, cut in half, scoop out seeds and toss
  2.  Grate cucumber coarsely, add salt and vinegar, mix well and let sit for about half an hour
  3. Put in a strainer and drain
  4. Mix yogurt with the garlic, dill and oil, then gently mix.
  5. Mix ALL the ingredients and toss lightly. Remove garlic cloves before serving (the garlic flavor becomes stronger the more you let it sit... so if you like garlic make the night before)
Serve with crackers, fried zucchini, toasted pita, or whatever you like!


Toasted pita:
  1. Cut the pita into wedges using a pizza cutter
  2. Spread with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and Italian seasoning (or basil, oregano, and parsley)
  3. Toast in the oven until golden brown
Enjoy!
Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment