Saturday, August 10, 2013

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole


This meal took me FOREVER to make. I don't know if it was me, or if I was tired after working out, or what. It was super delicious, so I would say worth it, but wait until you have some time! Also, this recipe makes SO MUCH. I ended up freezing a bunch of it in smaller batches to heat up later.

Ingredients:
  • 3 tbsp EVOO
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 3 celery stalks, diced
  • 3 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 2 tbsp minced garlic (I use the pre-minced garlic)
  • 2 cups chicken (shredded, in my opinion rotisserie chicken is the best!)
  • 3 cups rice (I used the organic brown rice from Trader Joes, but you can use any type you like as long as it's cooked. The original recipe calls for white and wild rice, but this was easier for me)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp garlic salt
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 1/4 c flour
  • 2 c chicken broth (I always get low-sodium)
  • 2 c shredded cheese (cheddar is best but if you're interested it could be fun to try different flavors)
  • Salt and pepper for seasoning
Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Heat oil over medium heat, and saute onion, celery, and carrots for 10 minutes
  3. Stir in garlic for 1 minute
  4. Stir in chicken, rice, salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Reduce heat to low
  5. In another pan, melt butter over medium high.
  6. Whisk in flour, salt, and pepper, and pour in chicken broth. Make sure you whisk continuously and until thick and almost boiling
  7. Stir in cheese until it all melts
  8. Pout cheese into rice
  9. Put in a baking dish, top with additional cheese (always needed!)
  10. Bake for 30 minutes
Enjoy!
Kelsey

Original Recipe here

No comments:

Post a Comment