Sunday, September 1, 2013

Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin


I didn't know what "au gratin" meant (a dish that is baked with a topping of seasoned breadcrumbs and cheese), and I've never had potatoes au gratin (which apparently is a thing), but I was going through a spaghetti squash obsession (see "Green" Spaghetti Squash), found this recipe, and had to try it. I put WAY too much red pepper flakes on this (a dash turned into a pour), so it was quite spicy, but I would definitely eat it again!

Ingredients:
  • 1 spaghetti squash
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 yellow onion
  • Dash of red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 c. sour cream (I wonder if Greek yogurt would work well?)
  • 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese 
  • 1 tbsp. seasoned breadcrumbs
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:
  1. Pierce the squash several times with a sharp knife
  2. Microwave for 11 minutes
  3. Let sit for 5 minutes
  4. Turn oven onto 375 degrees
  5. Cut open along the equator (I had my husband do this, it was still quite hard)
  6. Scoop out all the seeds and toss them
  7. Shred the remaining squash with a fork to make the "spaghetti"
  8. Thinly slice onion 
  9. In a skillet over medium heat, add butter, onions, and red pepper and cook until onions are slightly brown.
  10. Add skillet contents to squash with sour cream and 1/4 c. cheese and mix well
  11. Pour into sprayed baking dish
  12. Top with 1/4 c. cheese and breadcrumbs
  13. Place in oven and bake for 10-15 or until cheese is melted and breadcrumbs are browned
Enjoy!

Kelsey

Original recipe here

No comments:

Post a Comment