Thursday, September 5, 2013

Eggplant Pizzas



I have never cooked with an eggplant before. I watched the movie Coneheads a lot when I was little, and this is what I think of whenever I see an eggplant:



I decided it was time to grow up and explore what I could do with an eggplant! While I don't live a carb-free life (I could never live without bread or pasta), I do try to incorporate vegetables into my life whenever possible. I went to the Farmer's Market with my Dad over Labor Day weekend, and got an eggplant, and decided to make mini pizzas made with eggplant instead of pizza dough. What's also great about these is that you could make them for a bunch of people and customize them. I made four types:
  1. Mexican cheese combo

  2. Parmesan
  3. Blue cheese
  4. 4 cheese (the first three plus goat cheese)
Ingredients:
  • One eggplant
  • Salt
  • Tomato sauce (or pizza sauce)
  • Cheese (about 1 c.)
  • About 8 basil leaves
  • Any additional toppings
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Slice eggplant about 3/4 inch thick
  3. Put two paper towels on top of cooking sheet, and place eggplant slices on paper towels
  4. Cover with salt
  5. Wait about 30 minutes as the moisture expels from the eggplant
    Look at all that water!
  6. Wipe both sides of zucchini to get off water and salt and place on baking sheet
  7. Roast for 25 minutes
  8. Meanwhile, cut basil into strips
  9. Take zucchini out, place basil on top of zucchini, then spoon on tomato sauce, and top with cheese
  10. Broil for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese, careful not to burn

Enjoy!

Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment