Friday, March 21, 2014

Chili

 

I've never made chili before. Usually I like a lot of beans in it, and of course topped with sour cream and cheese, but with the Whole30 challenge I had to get creative. I found this recipe for a paleo chili so I thought I'd try it. I cut back on the spices because I didn't think my husband would like it, but we both decided it was too bland when first trying it so we added all the spices back. It makes a ton so I've also gotten super creative with what to do with all the leftover chili!

Ingredients:
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 jalapeno 
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 lbs grass-fed ground beef
  • 1/2 tbsp salt 
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tbsp cumin
  • 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 6 oz can of tomato paste
  • 16oz of water
  • 1/4 tsp chili flakes
  • Avocado (optional) 
  • Spaghetti (optional)
Directions:
  1. Chop the onion, jalapeno, and peppers
  2. Mince the garlic
  3. Place all the ingredients in a large pot with the coconut oil and saute on medium-low until they are soft
  4. At the same time, in another pan, add the beef and salt. Cook until browned, then strain the beef
  5. Add the chili powder and cumin to the chopped vegetables and stir well (this smelled SO good!)
  6. Add in tomatoes and beef, and stir again
  7. Add in the tomato paste, water, and chili flakes and stir again
  8. Bring everything to a boil, and then turn down to low and let simmer for about 20 minutes 
I ate mine with sliced avocado on top, and my husband ate his mixed in with some spaghetti.
 
Enjoy!

Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment