Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Homemade Guacamole


The 5th and 6th grade teams at my school are good friends, so we had a potluck last Friday. One of my co-workers decided to cook tostadas, so I said I would make homemade guacamole. I was a little nervous because this co-worker grew up in Mexico and therefore would be a tough critic (of which everyone made fun of me), but I was even impressed how good this came out! What I like about guacamole is you can adjust to suit your needs. I taste tested a lot along the way (part of the fun!) and liked this mixture, but feel free to add or take away to cater to your liking.

Ingredients:
  • 4 avocados
  • Lemon
  • Lime
  • 1 bunch cilantro
  • Red onion
  • 2 jalapeno peppers
  • 2 teaspoons salt
Directions:
  1.  Cut avocados in half (not the equator way, the other way) and take pit out
  2. Put avocado in bowl
  3. Add juice of a lemon and juice of a lime

  4. Mash with a fork
  5. Chop cilantro
  6. Finely chop onion
  7. Seed and finely chop jalapenos (then wash your hands!! I didn't and then took my contacts out... OW) (Also, I kept the jalapeno seeds in to increase the heat but that's up to you)
  8. Add chopped cilantro, jalapenos, and salt and mix everything together
To get the guacamole to stay green, I always leave the avocado pits in and then press down Saran Wrap to create a seal.

My friend Sutton writes for the website The Lunch Read (sign up, it's awesome!) and told me they featured an article to keep your guacamole fresh - pour thin layer of water over guac to create a seal, and when you're ready to eat, pour off water and mix. Genius!

Serve with salted chips.

Enjoy!

Kelsey

Lunch the next day... Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment