Thursday, February 19, 2015

Slow Cooker Whole Chicken and Gravy

 

Every recipe I have ever tried from Nom Nom Paleo has not disappointed. I made a roast chicken a few weeks ago and while it was so delicious, it was a lot of work (I was trying to combine 3 recipes... still working on refining it). When I found this recipe for Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Gravy, I wanted to try it immediately. I don't agree that this should be called "roast" chicken as it doesn't have the crisp skin like you would expect from a roasted chicken, but everything cooks great, and the gravy is so delicious. I ate this with Garlic Cauliflower "Mashed Potatoes"(which are SO garlicky - my warning) and roasted broccoli.

Ingredients:
  • 4-5 lb. organic kosher chicken
  • 2 tbsp. ghee
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 6 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 tsp. tomato paste
  • 1/2 c. chicken stock
  • 4 Tbsp. seasoning (I used a roast chicken seasoning from Williams Sonoma)
  •  S&P
Directions:
  1. Melt ghee in large cast iron skillet over medium heat
  2. Saute onions and garlic
  3. Add tomato paste and cook for 10 minutes 
  4. Put onions in slow cooker
  5. Add chicken stock to pan, make sure to scrap off anything off the pan into the stock, and pour over onions in slow cooker
  6. Dry off the bird
  7. Season well with seasoning and S&P, both inside and outside
  8. Place breast side down 
  9. Cook 4-6 hours (1 hour per pound of weight)
  10. When done, remove and let sit for 20 minutes
  11. Meanwhile, take an immersion blender and blend everything in slow cooker to make the gravy
Enjoy! Thanks Nom Nom Paleo!

Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment