Monday, February 2, 2015

Chicken Thighs with Peppery Pesto

 

Throughout my Whole30, I have come to love chicken thighs. The meat is so much more tender than a typical chicken breast, and I have even come to love the skin! This recipe came from Paleo Comfort Foods and I think this is one of my top favorites. The flavors all came together perfectly, and I was seriously sad when this was over. As I was typing this, I went to take some chicken thighs out of my freezer so I can make this again soon!

Ingredients:
  • 3 lb. bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 2 tsp. spice seasoning of your choice (I used my Homemade Spicy Blackening Seasoning)
  • 2 tsp. coconut oil
  • 1 cc arugula, firmly packed
  • 1/4 c. Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
  • 1/4 c. cilantro
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 1clove of garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp. freshly-squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 3 zucchini, spiralized
  • 1 head of broccoli, chopped
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Dry the chicken thighs and cut the fat and extra skin off
  3. Sprinkle with seasoning, S&P
  4. Heat a large stainless steel iron skillet over high heat
  5. Add oil and chicken thighs, skin down
  6. Reduce to medium/high, and cook for about 10 minutes
  7. Turn over and cook 5 minutes
  8. Remove and put chicken on plate
  9. Pour chicken juices away
  10. To make pesto: place arugula, parsley, cilantro, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and olive oil in processor until well combined
  11. Add zucchini and broccoli into the skillet and toss with pesto (I used all of it)
  12. Place chicken, skin side up, on top of zucchini and broccoli, and place in oven
  13. Bake for 15-20 minutes
Typing this makes me want to make this again ASAP.... Enjoy!

Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment