Saturday, February 15, 2014

Croque Madame Sandwich

 

When I was in Paris, I ate one of the most delicious sandwiches I have ever have in my life. It was cheesy, creamy, and had a fried egg on top. I hadn't eaten anything like it, and I still haven't. I wanted to make it for myself, so I did a little research and figured out that in fact it was a Croque Madame Sandwich (it's a Croque Monsieur Sandwich without the fried egg). This technically means a toasted ham and Swiss sandwich. Now, I don't really like ham, and I hate swiss (the only cheese I don't care for), so I changed this to meet my tastes.

Let me tell you, my stomach just grumbled thinking about this sandwich. It was definitely one of the top 10 things I have made and eaten. And in no way is this healthy, so enjoy every bite!!

This recipe makes one sandwich, but will give you a ton of leftover sauce if you want to make more (or add it to a pasta).

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 2 tbsp. flour
  • 1 1/2 c. whole milk
  • 4 slices white American cheese
  • 1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 2 slices bread (I only had multigrain on hand, but a harder French bread would have been even better)
  • 4 slices of bacon, cooked
  • 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 egg
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees
  2. Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat until starts to bubble
  3. Add in flour and whisk for 2 minutes
  4. Add milk, continuing to whisk, until thickens. Don't turn the heat up! This will take awhile but it's worth it
  5. Remove from heat
  6. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
  7. Stir in 2 slices of white American cheese and half of Parmesan
  8. Toast bread in toaster
  9. Spread each half of bread with mustard. Top with bacon and white American cheese
  10. Top with other slice of bread
  11. Put sandwich on cooking sheet sprayed with cooking spray
  12. Top with sauce and sprinkle on remaining Parmesan cheese
  13. Bake for 5 minutes, and then broil for 4 minutes. Careful not to burn the cheese! 
  14. Top with fried egg 
Enjoy!

Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment